Poetry news via Google, MSN, and Yahoo!
- POETRY REVIEW: MÃ³nica de la Torreâ€™s THE HAPPY END / ALL WELCOME
In â€œPositions Available,â€ the opening poem of MÃ³nica de la Torreâ€™s new collection ... it appeases those who believe a non-Christian and non-heteronormative is peak radicalismâ€”while also stymying the creation of a global anti-capitalist movement.
- American Life in Poetry: Outboard Motor
We've used several of Elise Hempel's poems in this column, and this one is from her latest book from Able Muse Press, Second Rain. To be a child, out for a fast ride in a boat with a father, well, that's a fine time. Elise Hempel lives in Illinois.
- From elegy to lyric, poet Stewart explores nature, love and memory in 'Cinder'
The poem pokes fun of the Romantic notion that poets "pine away." How does writing poetry help you grapple with difficult issues? My poems address whatever is on my mind â€” they can take a public or an intimate turn, or yoke those domains. I write out of ...
- The snowdrops of Oxford: How the city fell in love with winterâ€™s most entrancing flowers
At St Sepulchreâ€™s Cemetery, they have not only survived but naturalised prolifically, creating a wintry Gothic scene worthy of Caspar David ... the universityâ€™s emeritus Professor of Poetry, had built up an outstanding Galanthus collection with his ...
- An Interview with Poetry Teacher Extraordinaire, Marty Skoble
I do permit students to ask questions about each otherâ€™s poems (what does a word mean, where is this place, etc.) and the writer is free to decline any answer that veers towards explanation. CH: What do you think is most important to give young poets?
- Timing perfect for poet Rita Dove to join pianist in Akron performance
It was a matter of perfect timing: Former U.S. Poet Laureate Rita Dove and her husband just happened ... performing in a concert there as part of a project inspired by Doveâ€™s poetry.
- Events this week: Legos, Opiod roundtable, Jewelry making for teens, kidsâ€™ fun with science, and another Summer Concert
Poetry Workshop Series (6:00 â€“ 8:00 ... This monthâ€™s free craft session is for teens only. Participants will make jewelry under guidance of popular crafter Mandy Roberge. Registration is not required. For details, see dedicated post.
- Joanne Kyger, trailblazing Beat poet, dies at 82
â€œOn Time: Poems 2005-2014,â€ published by City Lights Publishers, showcased themes informed by her longtime practice of Zen Buddhism and her concern for the environment. Her prose collections included â€œStrange Big Moon: Japan and India Journals 1960 ...
- Chance The Rapper Might be Hosting Russell Simmonsâ€™ â€˜Def Poetry Jamâ€™ Reboot
Ten years after ending Def Poetry Jamâ€™s run, Russell Simmons is attempting to breathe new life into the spoken word television series. And he is eyeing Chance The Rapper to host the reboot. Uncle Rush recently shared the news with fans on Twitter.
- Teen's "White Boy Privilege" slam poetry goes viral
New York (CNN)A young boy takes the stage. In a shaky voice, he says, "My name is Royce. My poem is titled, 'White Boy Privilege ... I'm just saying that I f----- love being privileged and I'm not ready to give that away. I love it because I can ...
- Unseen Sylvia Plath poems deciphered in carbon paper
A carbon paper hidden in the back of an old notebook owned by Sylvia Plath has revealed two previously unknown poems by The Bell Jar author. The paper, which was discovered by scholars working on a new book, has lain undiscovered for 50 years and offers a ...
- Russell Simmons Says He's Negotiating for Chance the Rapper to Host a 'Def Poetry Jam' Reboot
If you watched Def Poetry Jam back when it originally aired from 2002 to 2007, this could be an exciting development for you. And if you didn't watch it, this could be as good a time as any to start. Emphasis on could be. We say that because on Friday ...
- NYT Obituary: Derek Walcott, Poet and Nobel Laureate of the Caribbean, Dies at 87
An obituary by William Grimes for the New York Times. Derek Walcott, whose intricately metaphorical poetry captured the physical beauty of the Caribbean, the harsh legacy of colonialism and the complexities of living and writing in two cultural worlds ...
- To tell more â€˜authentic storiesâ€™ of Cuba, 10 writers will tour the island with a poet
He originally read the poem on August 14 at the opening of the U.S. Embassy in ... who visited Cuba for the first time in 1978 against her familyâ€™s wishes. â€œIt lets them witness Cuba themselves and have their own memories rather than inherit them ...
- Hollie McNish: The politics and poetry of boyfriends, babies and breastfeeding
But the truth is that anyone who has read the book â€“ even those, like me, who have loved it and pressed it on friends and relations â€“ will know what she means. If â€œgoodâ€ poetry is intricately crafted, with delicate layers of meaning, Nobody Told Me ...